Hal Taussig (1924 – 2016) co-owned Untours, a unique travel company headquartered in Media, and was a long-time supporter of Fair Trade. His foundation, the Untours Foundation, has been actively supporting Fair Trade for over two decades. Hal dreamed the idea of Media being a Fair Trade town, and inspired the town to embrace it. At the time, there were no Fair Trade towns in the Americas.
Media is forward thinking, so making the Fair Trade connection was an easy step for this green, community-minded, world citizen of a town.
Media met the five criteria established by the British Fairtrade Foundation to become a Fair Trade town. The criteria are:
1) Local elected government passes a resolution supporting Fair Trade, and agrees to serve Fair Trade products.
2) A range of Fair Trade products are available locally.
3) Schools, workplaces, houses of worship and community organizations support Fair Trade and use Fair Trade products whenever possible.
4) Media coverage and events raise awareness and understanding of Fair Trade across the community.
5) A Fair Trade steering group representing different sectors is formed to coordinate action around the goals and develop them over the years.