Media’s Fair Trade History
Hal Taussig, Media resident and founder of Untours, a unique travel business, was a long time supporter of Fair Trade. His foundation, the Untours Foundation, has been actively supporting Fair Trade for over two decades.
Hal dreamed the idea of Media being a Fair Trade town, and inspired the town to embrace it.
Media met the five criteria established by the British Fairtrade Foundation to become a Fair Trade town. The criteria include:
- Local council passes a resolution supporting Fair Trade, and agrees to serve Fair Trade products.
- A range of Fair Trade products are available locally.
- Schools, workplaces, places of worship and community organizations support Fair Trade and use Fair Trade products whenever possible.
- Media coverage and events raise awareness and understanding of Fair Trade across the community.
- A Fair Trade steering group representing different sectors is formed to co-ordinate action around the goals and develop them over the years.
Now there are 44 other declared Fair Trade towns in the US with more in progress, and over 2,000 other towns around the world!
Now there are 44 declared Fair Trade towns in the US with more in progress, and over 2,000 Fair Trade Towns around the world!
Media’s Fair Trade Sister Cities
Media is a “Twin Town” with Garstang, England, the World’s First Fair Trade Town. Garstang provided the spark and guidance for Media to become the First Fair Trade Town in the Americas.
Garstang is also a Twin Town with New Koforidua, Ghana, the first Fair Trade Town in Africa and the thousandth Fair Trade Town in the World! The cocoa grown in New Koforidua and other parts of Ghana is used in the Fair Trade chocolate bars produced by Divine Chocolate.
Together, these three towns make up a modern Fair Trade Triangle that replaces the infamous slave trade triangle between England, Ghana, and the US. This partnership demonstrates a more positive interaction between countries that had historically participated in social and economic inequality.
Ambassadors from Media have visited Garstang, and ambassadors from Garstang have visited Media and New Koforidua.