Becoming a Fair Trade town offers an opportunity to belong to a growing movement that is leveraging the sale of Fair Trade in the US and worldwide. It is a way to address global poverty by taking action in our own communities. Media, PA, and other Fair Trade towns have blazed a trail in the US. An organization called “Fair Trade Towns USA” has sprung up to support our – and your! – efforts.
Here are the criteria for becoming a Fair Trade Town as defined by Fair Trade Towns USA:
- A local Fair Trade steering committee is formed that meets on a regular basis. The aim of the committee is to increase awareness of and demand for Fair Trade products through education, outreach, and events.
- A range of Fair Trade products is available in local stores, cafes, and other venues. These include Fair Trade Certified products and products sold by retailers that are member of the Fair Trade Federation.
- Fair Trade products are used by a number of local organizations such as places of worship, schools, hospitals, and offices.
- The local campaign attracts media attention and visible public support, including press and radio.
- The town and city council pass a resolution supporting Fair Trade and the local campaign.